Friday, November 18, 2011

fb etiquette

some days i feel like deleting my facebook account only because people use it so poorly! why is it that no one seems to know the proper etiquette to posting online? if your marriage is in trouble, why would you EVER put your relationship status as a jaunty "it's complicated?" INAPPROPRIATE! if your parents are going through a rough patch in their marriage, crytic facebook statuses about it are also not appropriate, especially when they don't have their own facebook accounts and can't see what you're writing about them. updating your status 3+ times a day? we don't care - get a twitter account if you feel like posting every time you inhale or exhale. also, writing all over your spouses wall that you love them, want them to take out the garbage and asking them if they want to go for a walk later is annoying to anyone that has to see it - do you not live together?? can you not call this person? text them? leave them a note on the table in your own writing?? GOODNESS.

ok, so i needed to rant. all of these things i have seen done BY ADULTS who are my friends on facebook. time to be educated by this clever article i found entitled, "how to not be hated on facebook."

1. Stop taking quizzes. Nobody cares what literary time period you are.
2. If you sync your Twitter account to Facebook so that you fill others' news feeds with a constant stream of mundane updates and references to people with little @ symbols before their names, be prepared for people to de-friend you. Maybe even in real life.
3. Don't friend someone you don't actually know
4. If you must friend someone you don't know, include a message explaining why you are doing so. For example, "Hi, I'm your cousin's roommate!" would suffice.
5. Actually, no. Why would your cousin's roommate want to be your friend? That's still weird.
6. Don't invite people to events if they don't live in your city. I'm glad you still live in our old college town, but guess what? I don't. Even if I did, I still wouldn't waste my Friday night listening to you play music at that vegan coffee shop I frequented when I was 19 because I couldn't get into bars.
7. I'm sorry your grandfather died of emphysema, but I will not join your "cause."
8. Make sure all your photos are rotated in the proper direction. How will people know how fun your Fourth of July barbecue was if every picture looks like you fell over?
9. If you create a group called "Lost my cell phone; need your numbers!," I will join, but I won't give you my number.
10. Cryptic status updates about your mental state — "Rachel is trying so hard," "Rachel wishes things were different," "Rachel is starting her life over" — don't make you sound intriguing, just lonely and pathetic.

all things said, if you don't know the correct way to use social networking sites, don't use them or at least EDUCATE yourself for the sake of my sanity!

end rant.

3 comments:

Mom said...

That's hilarious and so true! I have definitely hidden some people just because of the inane status updates. If they start to get blasphemous or something, they are definitely "unfriended". Those, so far, have been people that are from the deep past, and have requested my "friendship" just because they kind of knew me way back when. Sometimes, it's complicated.

Brynne said...

I agree! I hardly ever update my status anymore actually, I use Twitter for all that random stuff.

(I love the new layout! So pretty!)

Allison said...

awesome hun! And so true! Miss you!