Tuesday, February 07, 2006

After Table Mountain

I do think I'm spending too much money on these internet cafés...but at R10 an hour you can't really go wrong! Here I am at yet another. We are doing homestays this week, I'm staying with a beautiful 64-year-old widow named Judy with CARYN!! Yay I was so excited! Judy is hilarious, she is a chocolate loving emotional headcase just like us. She's really nice, and her oldest grandson turns 20 on my birthday! Cool or what? Her house is really small, but really girly and cozy - lace and stuffed animals EVERYWHERE. Hilarious! I'm having so much fun, this homestay has turned out better than I thought it would.
So where was I last e-mail? Table Mountain. This longest, hardest and steepest hike of my life! Ridic! It took us from 2:00 until 4:30 to get up, and from 5:15 to 7:00 to get down. It was really windy, and really scary, I wanted to quit SO many times! Especially because the trail we were on was burnt to a crisp from the fires last week. But the view made it almost worth it. Too bad I can't walk now.
Now we're in our host family's homes, doing service work. Yesterday we painted 4 houses in a township. Other people were putting in windows, doors and ceilings. It was really hot, and their were some gross local guys around making us uncomfortable, making obscene gestures etc. It was gross and made me want to leave. The leaders and the guys were so mad, and really did their best to protect us and make sure we were never alone, so that was good. Last night Caryn and I watched TV (SA Fear Factor is SO weird!) and that was about it. Tonight I hope to read and perhaps watch The Amazing Race - its the one where they go to SA. All we're doing is work projects for the rest of the week. Today we got done early and here I am in Muizenbug, eating ice cream and going online. I should go soon, though. I really missed not being able to call home on Saturday, I'm excited to call soon!
Well I should go. Please e-mail me whats been going on with you! I miss you guys!
Love,
Janna

1 comment:

cassie trumbley said...

oh mu gosh, i got your Christmas present yesterday!! thank you so much!! it's so cool, and i definitely cherish our appreciation for rainbow things.