Saturday, February 04, 2006

Table Mountain

Hello there once again! How are you guys? I'm at another internet café, killing time before I hike Table Mountain. The fires seem to have stopped and I hear its one of the most breathtaking views in the world, so I thought I should probably take this opportunity and run with it! I'm not really looking forward to the actual climb, but thats alright. Its only a group of girls going, so that should be fun. Hopefully I'll find someone to go my pace.
This week, what have I done this week? Well, on Sunday we went to this incredible church, I want to go there always, it was so good! I loved worship and their pastor(?) had a really powerful message. They gave us donuts afterwards, and random people came up and hugged us. Then we went to Robbin Island that afternoon, which was alright. I mean cool to see but it was a long day, and the tour guide was hard to hear, but it was still interesting. Everyone got sick on the boat ride back to Cape Town, Zach even puked. SO many people on out site have been sick (vomiting, explosive diarria ) and it seems like that boat ride didn't help. But yeah, I've been feeling alright, really tired though.
On Monday we went to the District 6 museum, which was cool. Then we went to Muisenburg, and visited a church run by reformed gangsters, and we learned all about the gang wars in the areas. We actually weren't allowed to get off the bus in some areas b/c a shoot out could occur at any time. It was intense, kids followed us everywhere and were all commenting on my shoes (the Nikes), which was sort of scary b/c I mean people get shot for their shoes! But it was alright. On Tuesday we began Conflict/Resolution classes, which were really interesting. I liked them alot actually. And the lady who did them, Micheline, is a councellor and I just loved her, she was so good at reading where we were at and what to do next. She led the exercises really well. So we had class until yesterday. We had the afternoon off, so we went to the beach and had a picnic. I slept on the beach and almost got taken out by the tide.
Today is table mountain, tomorrow is church and market shopping. Then we get divided up into host families again. I'm not totally looking forward to it - I mean I liked it last time, but this time I just don't feel like being seperated from the group again. I dunno, I'm sure it will be fine but I'd rather stay here with everyone. I appreciate all your prayers - your continued prayers for our site would be incredible! So if you could pray for them that'd be sweet.
Its my brithday in 8 days! Crazy, I feel excited but kinda not b/c its on a travelling day :( Yeah that kinda sucks. Oh well, its the day we reunite after homestay and it'll be exciting. Plus people have told me they will make it special for me, so thats nice. I'm really good though, healthy and pumped to build houses next week!! Thats what we're doing it will be sweet. Well time is of the essence so I should toodle. I think all the girls are going skinny dipping tonight! It should be fun. Well I really should go, I'll call today when I can.
Love,
Janna

1 comment:

Big Mac mama said...

Sounds like you've really taken to skinny dipping!! lol sounds like you're having quite the experience though..lions and tigers and..babboons? Oh my!