Saturday, January 28, 2006

Baboons, Sharks, and Penguins, OH MY!

Hey all! Here I am in Fish Hoek. Its about 5 minutes down the coast from Glencairn, where I'm staying. Its really nice here, man!
So this has been a pretty eventful week. On Wednesday we had two speakers talking about apartheid and on Thursday we had a guy/girl day and we girls visited some markets. I bought a Jesus fish necklace and a bracelet that looks like the SA flag. It was cheap and super cool. We had lunch on top of a mountain, observing the coast. We had just finished eating when everyone starting screaming. I looked up to see the biggest baboon of my life! It bared its teeth like 3 inches from Carmyn's face, grabbed our lunches, knocked Mae off the bench she was standing on with me, and ran off! I looked around and everyone had run away but me and Mae. I was like, "Mae are you okay?" And she was half laughing, half crying when she said, "No. I think it touched me!" Then we hugged for like 10 minutes. It was terrifying, but hilarious afterwards! Now we are all really afraid of the baboons, especially because they are so vicious and b/c we have so many at camp.
After the baboon scare we went to another beach and swam with penguines!!!!! It was so cool! Or should I say cold - the water was FREEZING! But it was so much fun, and they'd swim by you as you stood in the water. Then we dried off on the beach. The boys were climbing Table Mountain and on the way down they had to re-route due to a forest fire! You should look up pictures of it online, it was insane! They easily could've died, the wind was so strong that day. They didn't get back until like 10:30 that night!
The next day I woke up dark and early at the unGodly hour of 4:30 am to go SHARK DIVING! Yup, me and 17 other drove 2 hours and sailed 45 minutes to see some Great Whites. It was so sweet, I went in a cage with Terrell, Mae and Josh R and we saw the shark! It was fighting with their bait, so cool! It was a really long day and I took 2 Gravol and almost puked but it was SO worth it! I loved it, man to get the chance to do that was incredible! Plus my wet suit was unbelieveably hot! I'll tell you more when I can!
Today has been an assignment day, with 3 due by supper. I'm done them all. Tonight my worship team is leading worship and then I have prayer committee. Tomorrow we go to the jail in Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was kept. Cool or what?
Well I don't have much time left (stupid internet cafes!) and I should probably go. I love you all! Happy almost birthday daddy! 51!
Much love,
Janna xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Janna... good to here from you!!! it sounds great out there... OH and i am SOOOO sorry to hear that it has a breeze out there... (remember the majority of people who read yer blog are from canada) well... since u been gone martin lost an election, and resigned as leader of the liberal party, so harper, and the conservitives, are in. oh and you missed trogday (trogdors birthday) check homstarrunner for the cartoon.

-Bob

PS. Try to bring me back a monkey