Thursday, November 23, 2006

We are so FRUSTRATING!

Oh no, the show that is currently on my TV just called Rebecca St. James a bonified rock star. Ew.
So the other night Caryn and I watched the Tyra Banks show, and it was about women with self esteem issues. It showed all these pretty, normal-sized, if anyhting skinny, women and there was tears and all just oblivious and seriously misguided about how they actually look. It was so SAD, I mean they think they are way fatter than they are and Tyra just kept telling them 'you are not fat, you're beautiful.'
Now what bugs me is that I, as a woman, also feels that way. Not always super fat and hideous, but not beautiful enough. Enough for what I'm not quite sure. The whole time I was thinking why can't we as women stop judging each other and stop hating ourselves and just realise that we are beautiful? Why shouldn't I be able to look in the mirror and think that I have value and am accepted the way I am instead of looking in the mirror and only seeing stomach fat, zits and a double chin? Why can't I look in the mirror and believe that I am a beautiful creation of God? And why is it so important to me to be beautiful by society's standards? To quote my favorite man Nathan Reiger, 'who the hell are they' to tell me what is beautiful, and that I am not?
I seriously think that we women are the whole reason that we feel pressured to look certain ways. Not just celebrities either, but women in general. We are the ones looking at each other and saying things like 'ooh, sausage in a casing' or 'hunny, don't try to fit 15 pounds into a 5 pound bag.' I myself am guilty of this...how to stop it all is probably impossible, and I don't know where to begin. I guess it begins with me and my attitude.
--happy eight months to me and terrell, whoo! ---

2 comments:

Jadis said...

Firstly, happy eight months! Secondly, I agree...and I have a boy who is insanely attracted to me and I'm still like, I'm not good enough...I look tired, ect. Not a lot but once in awhile. It's tiresome

Brynne said...

Holy cow, I never even saw this post. Wasn't it just the love one and the kiwi before?

Anywho, yeah, the most harsh critics of women are other women, and when women get all dressed up to go out, they're trying to impress other women. Cause that's what we do.

And it sucks.