Friday, March 18, 2005

Best Day EVER!

Today has been the freaking funnest day ever! It was Jazz Fest in Brandon, so we all packed up after an hour and a half of practising and headed off. I got to ride in the Handivan! It was the best group of us: Curtis, Eddie, Geordie, Kyle M, Kelsey, Carlyle, Britney, Heidi, Brynne and me. We just talked and hung out the whole way there. Heidi and I laughed most of the way, really! "We're in the handivan...WE'RE COOL!" LOL! Carlyle sat in the wheelchair! We were drawing on the fogged up windows (nice roadkill squirrel "guitar" Eddie!) and waving at people who passed us. And we ate on the way too, Eddie was jealous of my lunch. Then we got there, and we hung out in the hallway, and I saw Jeff and Norah came over to say hello. Then we went to warm up. We went out on the stage to set up, and I saw Andrew! That was cool. He actually announced us, and the songs we played. Then we played In the Mood. It was...interesting. Well it was actually pretty good until the last two bar lines, when the trumpets play the chromatic scale. We all just kind of died and yeah it was bad. I was so humiliated after we finished. Then we played Woodchopper's Ball, which was somehow worse. Oh it was so completely awful. But then we played Soul Bossa Nova. That was the best we ever played it. I mean, we nailed everything! It was amazing, we just killed it! The trumpets we good that whole song, I must say. Then we were adjudicated, and he was really nice. We went to another building and he worked with us for like an hour. We improved so much! If he came to our school once a month, we would be a completely better Jazz Band. So then we like rocked at Woodchopper's. He told us that we we started to play Soul Bossa, we completely changed. He said it was like we were a totally different band. So yeah, that was good.
Then we went to get pictures taken and the photo guy was a total skank (just like at Optimist). So we took the picture, and then we hung out outside. Eddie and I discussed how it must photo guy requirements to be a hoebag, lol. Then Kristin came and said goodbye. Then we all got on the Handivan. We were sitting there, just talking and some of us were humming Soul Bossa. Then Carlyle started yelling "HANDIVAN!" at people who walked by. It was so funny! Then we sang Soul Bossa, each of us singing our parts. It was totally fun and we were just screaming the whole time. People looked frightened, it was funny! My throat was so sore after that. After singing it through about 4 times, we were all like, "what time is it? why haven't we moved?" and Mr. Pettinger was like "It's 3:20 (we were supposed to have left an hour ago) and the handivan won't move out of park." So we all went outside and tried to push it, which was funny also.
Then we got back on, and Mr. Pettinger was on the phone calling the school etc. There was a charter bus parked across the street, and we were waving at the 3 people in it, yelling "Handivan!" at them. They waved and acted like idiots, and we were feeling silly, so Eddie stuck his head out the window and blew a kiss at them. This one guy was pumping his arm in the air with excitement, which scared Eddie. So he gave me his sunglasses, and I continued to wave at them. Then they wrote us a note and held it up against the window. It asked us to um, show some skin and we all laughed, and wrote back for them to show us some first. It was all in good fun, really. But then this one guys started taking off his sweater and dancing around, and then he started with his pants! I was hiding, and then I saw his teacher coming! He did too, when she came on, and ducked into a seat to redress. She looked pretty mad! When they walked by we all laughed and applauded, and I held up a sign that said "Nice." It was hilarious! Finally the handivan started moving, around 4:00. We celebrated by going to McDonalds. It was awesome! I hugged Carlyle! We laughed and talked and it was great. And Brynne and I started making our straws make sounds, and everyone else joined. We called it the Handivan song. It was totally awesome.
Then we finally started home, around 4:15. We talked about movies we like (who knew they all love Monty Python?), and comedians, and laughed like idiots. We also laughed about everything else that happened that day. We had a contest on who was ugliest when they were 12. We talked about hygene, and how cool it would be to take then Handivan to a drive in movie, with a big buttload of us. Seriously, I am so jealous of all of them. I was never that cool when I was 14 or 15. It was so totally awesome, like I mean we never ran out of things to talk about, or laugh about, and I could've driven for way longer than we did. I feel like we're like the Handivan's own Breakfast Club. We're like the Handivan Club (whoa, that sounded way cooler in my head). Like we're all forever bonded because of that one day. Who knows if on Monday we'll talk or anything, but for those few hours we a tight group of friends. Now that is beautiful. And I am so in a funk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I didn't comment on this when you first posted it! That was seriously pretty much the best day of my high school experience.

lol, Handivan Club.