Thursday, May 18, 2006

My New Mantra

Anybody know The Nylons? Old accapella group, sparkly shirts and finger snapping? Amazing harmonies and great performers? Anyways, I was listening to their CD on the way to work today and there was this song that one of the guys wrote called “Loving You”. Sounds like a cheesy love song, correct? Well it’s about loving yourself, which is a pretty foreign concept to me most of the time, and it’s not the greatest song or anything, but it’s cool to think about what the words mean – made me think, anyways. And to have a guy saying that to a girl…

First things first, let’s talk about your self esteem
You don’t need some guy to complement you to feel like a beauty queen
You’ve got to tell yourself everyday
That the way you look is better than okay
Doing everything, everything you can
To please yourself and not some man
You will find true peace of mind in

[chorus]
Loving you
First on your list of things to do
Got to feel good about yourself
Before you take on something else like
Loving me
Though I hope that will come easily
I think it’s only secondary to
Loving you

You should know that you deserve the very best
Stop comparing how you look ‘cause you shouldn’t think about the rest
You’ve got to tell yourself all the time
That the person that you see as you will do just fine
Everything you are, who you gonna be
Just always be yourself with me
You can set your spirit free by

[chorus]

You’ve got to love yourself much better
You’ve got to love yourself that will make you stronger
You’ve got to love yourself much better than before
You’ve got to love yourself so much more

On another note, I was at Hamiota School over lunch, and the grade 12 kids were going into the gym before I left. Guess what class they have after lunch? Dance. Not lying, they have a dance class. And even though they were all two-stepping to country music, I was still incredibly jealous and bitter; I mean why didn’t our school have something cool like that? Man. Not like there were too many people in my class I really wanted to dance with…

2 comments:

cassie trumbley said...

how i love the nylons. you know who i also love? the rocket summer. golden, really. i love you.... and i'll call you this week.

Anonymous said...

Yay Nylons, I only have tapes of them which is sad, you are going to have to bring some CD's to CMU in fall. Sometimes they sing with Rockapella and it's the sweetest thing ever. What's a Mantra??