Saturday, July 08, 2006

Summer Saturdays

I love Saturdays in Strathclair in the summer. You can hear the buzzing of a lawn mower steadily from about 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. The air smells like freshly cut grass and BBQ. The temperature is so warm, but there is a nice breeze so it is bearable to sit outside. People are watering their gardens, their grass, their flowers. Wearing fun woven sun hats. Kids are everywhere on their bikes, all over the road, on the side walk, racing down to Hal's (or J & P's) to buy popsicles or buy a coke. Main Street is busy with people taking advantage of the day and buying the week's groceries, filling the car with gas and getting their mail. Old ladies are getting their hair done. People everywhere are stopped on the side walk, catching up and seeing how everyone's week went. They start in twos, but soon end up in clusters of four or five. People are walking everywhere, just enjoying the day. And there are always two trucks parked in the middle of the road, the drivers lost in conversation about how their fields are doing, gas prices, and whether we need more rain or not. There are puddles on the road from sprinklers, and birds and squirrels sassing each other in the trees. Children haul eachother around in red wagons, and there is a general sense of relaxation and peace in the air. And whether you are heading out to the lake for a swim, or driving home on the ride on lawn mower, you will be sure to get a huge smile and a wave from all you meet, because this is summer in Strathclair.

3 comments:

Jadis said...

Oh goodness do I ever miss that. It's so busy and noisy here all the time. I think I just had a moment

cassie trumbley said...

sass.

Big Mac mama said...

"Oh goodness do I ever miss that." Is exactly what I was thinking as I read that! Don't get me wrong, I love the city for all its easy access, but I do miss the quietness and relaxedness(?) of a small town.